About Eight Horses Productions
Eight Horses Productions Inc. is a full-service production and creative development company that has offices in Manila and Los Angeles. The company is founded by award-winning filmmaker John Paul Su. Since its inception, Eight Horses Productions has produced award-winning films, commercials and industrial videos.
John Paul Su is a Master of Fine Arts (MFA) graduate of New York University Tisch School of the Arts. He won the Directors Guild of America's Best Asian-American Student Filmmaker Award for his short Pagpag (The Refuse), which was picked up by PBS and Shorts International. 'Smell A Memory', an advocacy piece on Alzheimer’s disease that he directed in Singapore, was shortlisted at Cannes Lions and won the Silver AdStar Award. Most recently, the Philippine Government bestowed JP the Harvest of Honor Award (for the second time) and named him one of the Outstanding Filipino Artists in the field of Cinema for 2016.
His debut feature “Toto” has earned accolades both in his native country—the Philippines, and in the international film festival circuit.
Su is an alumnus of Disney/ABC Directing Program, as well as, NBCUniversal Emerging Directors Program. Most recently, he was invited to be part of the prestigious Berlinale Talents Tokyo, where he developed his latest project, Captain C! Captain C! is a Finalist for the WeScreenplay Diverse Voices Screenplay Competition, and a Quarter-finalist for the Academy Nicholl Fellowship in Screenwriting.
- Winner, Audience Choice Award for Best Film, New York Asian American International Film Festival
- Winner, Best Foreign Film, Los Angeles Comedy Festival
- Winner, Best Director, Metro Manila Film Festival (New Wave Section)
- Winner, Special Jury Prize, Metro Manila Film Festival (New Wave Section)
- Winner, Best Asian American Filmmaker, Directors Guild of America Student Awards
- Silver Medal, Best Short Film, New York Festivals International TV and Film Awards;
- Winner, Best Live Action Short (Drama), NewFilmmakers Los Angeles Best of 2014 Awards;
- Winner, Best Student Documentary, CINE Golden Eagle Awards;
- Finalist, Cannes Lions Awards
- Winner, Silver, AdStar Awards
- Nominated— Rome Independent Film Festival, Newport Beach Film Festival, Metro Manila Film Festival, Short Shorts International Film Festival, Interfilm Berlin, Uppsala International Film Festival, Milan International Film Awards, Filipino Society of Film Critics Award (Urian Award)
- JP's IMDB Page
- 18th DGA Student Film Awards - New York Ceremony
- Short Film Review: Pagpag (The Refuse) (The Asian Cinema Blog)
- DGA Honors Diverse Student Filmmakers (Hollywood Reporter)
- Winners of 18th DGA Student Film Awards (Variety)
- Directors Guild Announces Student Film Awards Winners (Deadline Hollywood)
- Confronting ‘poverty porn’ (Inquirer)
- Disney/ABC Television Group Sets 2014-16 Directing Program Participants (Variety)
- ABC Selects Directing Program Participants (Hollywood Reporter)
- Disney/ABC Directing Program Names 2014-16 Participants (Deadline Hollywood)
- DISNEY/ABC Announce 2014-16 Directing Program Participants (Broadway World)
- MMFF 2015 New Wave Cinema winners announced
- Film Review on 'TOTO': Green Card Blues (Philippine Star)
- Film Review on 'TOTO': From Delirium to Distress (Manila Times)
- Talents Tokyo 2017 announces its Talents and Main Experts!
- SFFILM Announces Westridge Grant Winners